Tuesday, May 5, 2015

Building Our Lives on the Greatness of God, Aprl 26, 2015


Building Our Lives on the Greatness of God

Psalm 27:1-5, Matthew 7:24-28

April 26, 2015

Grace Presbyterian Church

Rev. Dr. Richard E. Miller

 

Who Pushed Me? 

 

A very wealthy man bought a huge ranch in Arizona and he invited some of his closest associates in to see it. After touring some of the 100,000 acres of mountains and rivers and grasslands, he took everybody to the house. The house was as spectacular as the scenery, and out back was the largest swimming pool you have ever seen. However, this gigantic swimming pool was filled with alligators. The rich owner explained this way: "I value courage more than fear or anything else. Courage is what made me a billionaire. In fact, I think that courage is such a powerful virtue that if anybody is courageous enough to jump in that pool, swim through those alligators and make it to the other side, I'll give them anything they want, anything--my house, my land, my money." Of course, everybody laughed at the absurd challenge and proceeded to follow the owner into the house for lunch... .when they suddenly heard a splash. Turning around they saw this guy swimming for his life across the pool, thrashing at the water, as the alligators swarmed after him. After several death defying seconds, the man made it, unharmed to the other side. The rich host was absolutely amazed, but he stuck to his promise. He said, "You are indeed, a man of courage and I will stick to my word. What do you want? You can have anything--my house, my land, my money-just tell me what you want and it is yours." The swimmer, dripping wet and breathing heavily, looked up at the host and said, "I just want to know one thing--who pushed me in that pool?" [Dr. Charles Garfield]

 

Our Lives are Like That Sometimes our lives are like that, aren’t they? Things are going along fairly well when all of a sudden, we find ourselves in a pool filled with alligators swimming like crazy to get through the crisis that faces us.

Perhaps we’ve been diagnosed with a life-threatening illness, or have lost our job, or our spouse has asked for a divorce, or our child is involved with drugs. Events such as these cause us to be frightened, anxious, fearful, angry, and helpless.

Phobias  Sometimes our fears turn into phobias such as astraphobia, the fear of thunder. The story is told of a mother tucking her small son into bed during a severed thunderstorm. She was about to turn the light off when he asked in a trembling voice, "Mommy, will you stay with me all night?" Smiling, the mother gave him a warm, reassuring hug and said tenderly, "I can't dear. I have to sleep in Daddy's room." A long silence followed. At last it was broken by a shaky voice saying, "The big sissy!" [Unknown].

Years ago in Virginia, I was giving a children’s sermon on Pentecost and to illustrate the Spirit as wind and air. I blew up a balloon and then let it go. After the balloon shot up into the air and swirled around in a crazy pattern, it landed on the organ. The organist let out a shriek, jumped from the organ bench, and backed to the wall. Little did I know that the organist suffered from globophobia, the fear of balloons.

     Then there is the story of a knife thrower in a circus who would have a young lady stand against a wall while he threw knives and swords at her. He would barely miss her by inches but she never flinched. She was calm, cool and collected. But one day as he threw a knife at her, she screamed and collapsed on the floor. Thinking the worse, everyone rushed to her side. As they expressed their concern, she looked up and said, “A spider was crawling up my arm! I’m deathly afraid of spiders!” She had no fear of the knives coming at her [aichmophobia], but suffered from arachnophobia, a fear of spiders.

Whether we have phobias or things happen to us that cause us to be fearful, the challenge that faces us all is how to cope and survive when life’s alligators are swarming around us.

 

One answer to this is given by Charlie Brown of “Peanuts” fame who once said, “I’ve developed a new philosophy. I only dread one day at a time.”

That’s all well and good, but perhaps there is a more lasting solution to our fears.

Psalmist  The psalmist tells us how he copes with his fears. He says, “The Lord is my light and my salvation; whom shall I fear? The Lord is the stronghold of my life; of whom shall I be afraid?” He will hide me in his shelter in the day of trouble; he will conceal me under the cover of his tent; he will set me high on a rock.” Because the Lord is his stronghold, he says, “I will sing and make music to the Lord.”

Jesus  In our scripture from Matthew, Jesus gives us the solution in conquering alligators when they come into our lives. He said that if we hear his words and act upon them, we will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. When the rains and floods come, and when the winds blew and beat upon that house, the house did not fall because it had been founded on rock. In like manner, if we hear the words of Jesus but ignore them, then our lives will be built on sand. And when the rains and winds descend upon us, our lives will be filled with fear and anxiety and we will separate ourselves from Christ.

When Jesus is the light and stronghold of our life, of whom or what shall we be afraid? After all, Jesus is bigger than all our fears combined.

But the problem with fears, anxieties and phobias is that they separate us from God. And Fulton J. Sheen wrote many years ago that “Anxiety increases in direct ratio and proportion as one departs from God.” So Jesus is saying that if we listen to God’s Words and then make them an integral part of our lives, our house, our lives, will not fall down. We may still experience times when we are fearful and anxious, but they will not end up crippling us. As Paul said, “We can do all things through Christ who strengthens us.” And we end up building our lives on the greatness of God.

The Marshes of Glynn  In 1842, in Macon, Georgia, Sidney Lanier was born. He was educated at Oglethorpe College and served in the Confederate army during the Civil War. He grew up to be an accomplished flutist, English professor and poet.  Everything was going his way until he was in his thirties. He was diagnosed as having tuberculosis. This was like a death sentence for him since few survived this disease in those days. All of his dreams and hopes for the future disappeared as he confronted the specter of death. So in 1879, just three years before he died, he vacationed on the sea coast of Glynn County, Georgia. He looked across the salt marshes and wrote one of his finest poems, “The Marshes of Glynn.” In that poem is this statement: “As the marsh-hen secretly builds on the watery sod, behold, I will build me a nest on the greatness of God: I will fly in the greatness of God as the marsh-hen flies in the freedom that fills all the space ‘twixt the marsh and the skies.”

I will build me a nest on the greatness of God!  By that statement, Sydney, knowing his death was near, seized and hung tightly to the power and the love of God. We, too, no matter what happens in life, can fight through our fears by building our lives on the greatness of God. In addition to immersing ourselves daily in the Word of God, God uses his church, the Priesthood of All Believers, to help us cope with our fears and get through whatever crisis we are facing.

On Golden Pond  In the movie, “On Golden Pond,” Norman Thayer, played by Henry Fonda, fears growing old and dying. In one scene, his wife, Ethel, played by Katherine Hepburn, asks him to go down Old Town Road and pick some strawberries. After awhile, Norman shows up back at the house with empty buckets. He then says to Ethel, “I got to the end of our land and I couldn’t remember where Old Town Road was. I wandered away there in the woods. Nothing looked familiar. It scared me half to death. That’s why I came back, to your pretty face, so I could feel safe, where I’m still me.” In a way, that is the story of our lives. Many times in our life journey we find ourselves lost in unfamiliar territory facing unknown perils. We become afraid and we panic. And so we run to someone we can trust, where we’re still ourselves, so that our fears might subside and go away. Norman was afraid of growing old. And Ethel was Norman’s refuge. She comforted him and helped relieve his anxious fears. She was the human rock upon which his life was built. Thus we can be the refuge and strength for each other as we walk hand in hand through life, encountering one fear after another.

It is vital that we tenderly hold those who are fearful. We may not be able to eliminate their fears, but knowing that they don’t face them alone comforts them and gives them courage.

Brother-in-Law   A few years ago, my brother-in-law had to have brain surgery to remove a tumor. Before he went into the operating room, he said, “No matter what happens, I come out a winner. If I don’t make it, I go to live with Jesus. If I do make it, I return home to the farm.” Yes, he made it back to the farm and still lives each day with that belief.

When we build our lives on a rock, on the words of holy scripture, and put them into practice each day, we build a solid emotional foundation that keeps us from falling apart when we find ourselves swimming with alligators. And if we’re lucky, we might find some good friends who are willing to jump into the pool with us to help fight them off! Amen.


Psalm 27:1-5 NRSV

The Lord is my light and my salvation;

   whom shall I fear?

The Lord is the stronghold of my life;

   of whom shall I be afraid?

 

When evildoers assail me

   to devour my flesh—

my adversaries and foes—

   they shall stumble and fall.

 

Though an army encamp against me,

   my heart shall not fear;

though war rise up against me,

   yet I will be confident.

 

One thing I asked of the Lord,

   that will I seek after:

to live in the house of the Lord

   all the days of my life,

to behold the beauty of the Lord,

   and to inquire in his temple.

 

For he will hide me in his shelter

   in the day of trouble;

he will conceal me under the cover of his tent;

   he will set me high on a rock.


Matthew 7:24-29 NRSV

 

 ‘Everyone then who hears these words of mine and acts on them will be like a wise man who built his house on rock. The rain fell, the floods came, and the winds blew and beat on that house, but it did not fall, because it had been founded on rock. And everyone who hears these words of mine and does not act on them will be like a foolish man who built his house on sand. The rain fell, and the floods came, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell—and great was its fall!’

 Now when Jesus had finished saying these things, the crowds were astounded at his teaching, for he taught them as one having authority, and not as their scribes.

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment